Some exclusions may apply. Check your inbox for offer details.
Buying and Lens Guide
How to Choose the Right Happy Lens for Your Sunglasses
There are many different lens choices for your sunglasses, which is a good thing. But, with so many colors and options, how do you choose the best sunglass lenses for you?
Choosing the best Happy lenses by sport or activity
It makes sense that you want sunglass lenses that will perform best in your favorite sport or activity. If your highest priority is performance, you should choose a Happy lens designed for the unique visual needs or variables you'll experience.
- If you’re a golfer, the Happy Bronze lenses increase contrast off green surfaces. It’s the best sunglass lens color that helps you pick up the golf ball quickly.
- If you run or ride a mountain bike on trails, either the Happy Bronze Happy Grey Green lens will enhance contrast. The Happy lens accentuates changes in terrain and gives optimal clarity when reading your surroundings
- Plus, you can get a mirror coating to decrease brightness for either of these activities.
That’s just two examples. There are sunglass lens colors and coating combinations that are ideal for virtually any sport or activity, from motorcycling to mountaineering to skiing and more.
Choosing your Happy lenses by weather or indoor lighting
While weather is constantly changing, you should consider conditions you commonly experience when you choose your Happy lens.
- Bright and sunny climates are best matched to a Happy Bronze or Happy Grey Green lens tint to minimize the effects of harsh sun.
- A general purpose lens is best for mixed and widely variable weather. Luckily with Spy’s Happy lens technology any Happy lens tint you choose should work well for any change that might come in weather
- Overcast conditions require a contrasting lens. Both Spy’s Happy bronze and Happy gray green provide superior color and contrast enhancement so either option should fit the need of a gloomy day
The Perfect Sunglass Lens is a Good Combination
It’s important to keep in mind that choosing the best Happy lens for your sunglasses is not an “either-or” option. You should choose a lens based both on how and where you will wear them.
Best of all, once you choose your tint color and coating options, Spy Optic haspartnered with SportRx who have in-house optics lab that will build lenses precisely matched to your prescription. That adds an even greater degree of customization and greater visual performance…for your perfect pair of sunglasses.
How to Choose the Right Sunglass Frames
Selecting the sunglass frames for your Spy prescription order is a highly individual choice. Of course, you want comfort and performance. But sunglass frames also make a personal statement, so you want it to reflect your unique personality. Whether you’re looking for sports-specific performance, casual wear, or a stylish look, here are some factors to consider when choosing your sunglass frames.
Your Design Choices in Sunglass Frames
You have a large number of options when it comes to frame design. Here are just a few popular shapes and designs, and some of their benefits.
Wraparounds: Many Spy sunglass frames designed for active lifestyles or sports feature a wraparound design. These have the advantage of giving you good protection in front and on the sides. If an impact from a ball or projectile is a concern, wraparound frame shapes are a good choice (you should also check the frame’s ASTM safety rating). Popular wraparound Spy choices include the Dega, Dirty Mo, and Logan.
Aviator-style: This timeless classic frame design is often used for casual wear. This type of frame gives you a large lens surface for a greater visual field. Although it offers little in the way of side protection, it does give you more peripheral (non-prescription) vision. Good aviator choices include the Marina, Whistler, and Westport.
6 base frames- While some may be looking for the full coverage of the wraparound frame others may just want the comfortability and look of a flatter lens. For those of you just looking to sport more of the trendy look for walking around town, Spy offers a variety of 6 base frames such as the Discord, Montana, and Atlas. If you’re looking for a little more upscale fashionista look check out the Spy Crosstown collection.
Face Size and Shape
It might surprise you to know that sunglass frames vary in how they fit different face shapes and sizes. Plus, some are specifically made for women’s faces and others for kids. You’ll find all Spy product descriptions will help you match the frame to your face shape and size. And you can always contact us for help in finding your best frame size.
Comfort and Performance Features
Besides frame design and sizing, other factors are comfort and performance. Spy has unique innovations and technology. Small—but important—details, like the padding used for the nose and ear pieces, can affect how snug and comfortably your sunglasses feel.
Yes, You Can Find the Perfect Frame for You
While these are just a few factors to consider, you can also:
- Find the right lens to go with your frame with our lens selection guide
- Contact us for personal assistance
Although the choices are almost endless, there is a sunglass frame that can give you exactly what you’re looking for in terms of function, performance, comfort, style…or all the above.